Change Blog Address (URL)
Your blog address, also known as your blog URL, is what people use to access your blog. It’s what they type in the address bar of their web browser to go to your blog.
help.edublogs.org is an example of a blog URL.
It isn't possible to edit the URL of a blog that has already been created. You need to create a new blog with your preferred URL as follows:
1. Go to Dashboard > My Sites
2. Click on Add New.
3. This takes you to the new site form.
4. Add your site name, site title, select your site language, your site privacy and then click Create Site.
You import your original blog content into your new blog as follows:
1. Log into your original blog dashboard.
2. Go to Tools > Export.
3. Click on Download Export file and save the XML (WXR) file onto your computer.
- You must select All Content.
4. Log into your new blog dashboard.
5. Go to Users > Add New and add all users that published posts on the original blog as a user to the new blog.
Don’t create new users during the import process. Assign all posts to the blog admin user during the import process if you don’t want to create their user accounts.
6. Go to Settings > Reading
7. Change privacy to “Discourage search engines from indexing this site” if the blog is using a private blog option.
Your original blog and your new blog need to be set to "Discourage search engines" to import media files.
8. Go to Plugins > All
9. Click Activate on the Advanced WordPress importer.
10. Go to Tools > Import.
11. Click on Run Importer under Advanced WordPress.
12. Click on Browse and browse to locate the Export file you saved on your computer.
13. Click on Upload file and import.
14. Assign all posts to existing users.
15. Select ‘Download and import the file attachments‘ and then click Submit.
16. The import process will start and can take up to 24 hours to complete.